Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Colómbia (Part 9) That’s All Folks!

Sorry, it’s another long post, but it’s the last…

After the Salt Mine, Amy and I went with Carlos’ Dad and his brother, Willy to Monserrate.  It’s a big cathedral overlooking Bogota.  There are also several other buildings up there including restaurants and vendors.  I love it up there.  Amy said that was where she wanted to build her house.  We went up close to sundown so that we could watch the sunset and the lights of the city as they came on. 

Carlos stayed back with the boys so we could go up and really enjoy it.  Thanks honey!  I really enjoyed it. 

This is a building down in the city but it’s neat.  You can kind-of see Monserrate in the upper left corner.

IMG_1543

 

There are three ways up: tram, a train that goes up a really steep track or on foot.  I think that the foot trail has been closed.  We took the tram because the train was closed for the day.  The train pictured below is a really old one that is no longer in use-don’t worry!

   IMG_1572 IMG_1568IMG_1573   IMG_1578

IMG_1571

Just as we were getting to the top, it started raining over downtown Bogota.

IMG_1584

This Christus is on the top of another mountain.  I guess that not a lot of people visit there although I’m not sure why.

IMG_1575

Up top:

 IMG_1592 IMG_1591 IMG_1582

  IMG_1593 IMG_1595 IMG_1599 IMG_1615  IMG_1633IMG_1639 IMG_1641IMG_1590  IMG_1642 IMG_1646

The population of Bogota is between 9 and 10 million so what you see in the picture is only a fraction of the city.  Maybe someday I’ll “stitch” some pictures together for a panorama.

This is the other side of the mountain and the view Amy would like to have from her house:IMG_1597IMG_1601

This is the house she would like (it’s one of the restaurants): 

IMG_1586

IMG_1652 IMG_1650 IMG_1658IMG_1664IMG_1670IMG_1722

IMG_1671IMG_1711IMG_1713

 IMG_1743 IMG_1735     IMG_1724 IMG_1725 

Back at the bottom!

IMG_1765IMG_1773

When we got back, Carlos, Amy, Carlos’ mom, Jaiden and I went to Crepes and Waffles, an awesome restaurant that we have to go to every time we’re there.  Jaiden fell asleep after taking only a few bites but we had a delicious meal of crepes and waffles!

Then it was home to finish packing, up early the next morning and off the airport (oh, the craziness of the airport) to say….. goodbye….. 

Hopefully it won’t be too long before we see you again!

IMG_1781

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Wow, that sounds like a great adventure! Looks like such a beautiful place. I love your photos!