Kind-of a long post but really neat. Also check out the post before this one.
Zipaquirá and the Salt Cathedral
This is the town where Carlos’ dad lives so he met us at the mine and spent some time with us there.
This is Zipaquirá, also a very pretty town.
The Salt Cathedral is a salt mine that has a cathedral built inside. There are many different alters and crosses, all following the events of the death of Christ. Everything is carved out of the mine itself. It’s really neat. It’s a big tourist attraction and has a park outside as well.
A kid’s maze.
Does everyone have their ticket?
Then let’s go inside!
Disclaimer: A lot of these pictures are blurry. It was really dark inside and I didn’t want to use my flash. And I didn’t have my tripod. And I was trying to not take too long. And they didn’t look this blurry on my little camera display so I didn’t retake them!
The main cathedral. It even has giant pillars carved out of the mine. It’s quite a walk to get down to here. They regularly hold different concerts here. That would be so cool to go to!
This is a carving of Adam touching the finger of God. Beautiful.
There is a guided tour but we were at the back and I didn’t hear very much. There is a cool 3D movie at the end that explains the process of the mine and of course there are things to buy. And you get to walk out by yourself once you’re done.
Aaah, daylight! And air!
2 comments:
Wow Amanda!!
Looks like you guys had a fabulous trip!!! Love all the scenery pictures. It is beautiful!
Wow! What a cool place to go!
Post a Comment