Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Colómbia (part 2)

We just spent Thursday hanging around close to the apartment and getting a pedicure and manicure for super cheap!

Friday we headed to another city, Villavicencio, which is about 2 1/2-3 hours away. We started in Bogota, nestled in the top of the Andes mountains and wound our way down through the mountains until coming out in Villavicencio which is at the base of the Andes and the beginning of vast tropical plains, or Llano, like a savanna. Google it for more info! Here’s a little picture recap of the journey:

Page 1

Page 2

The trip used to be several hours but is now a lot shorter because of several tunnels they built (one was already there.)

IMG_0383 b

This is the first time I’ve really seen the inside of them because I’ve been pregnant the last two times we went and I’m extremely claustrophobic when pregnant. I panicked really bad the first time and so after that would just jack up the music in my headphones, close my eyes, open the window and breathe deeply. They were actually pretty neat!

IMG_0388 b

This one takes a couple of minutes to drive through and is the first of the four. It’s shortly after Bogotá and when you come out, you have a beautiful view of the valleys below.

IMG_0444 bIMG_0380 bIMG_0445 bIMG_0433 b IMG_0438 b

This is entering the old tunnel:

IMG_0493 b

Lots of cool buildings. I love the balconies!

IMG_0490 b

Awesome bridges:

IMG_0509 b IMG_0503 b

Leaving the last tunnel which takes about 5 minutes to drive through:

IMG_0527 b

As soon as you leave the tunnel, you are in Villavicencio!

IMG_0529 b

This is Carlos’ Aunt’s and Uncle’s house where we stayed. Thanks again! ¡Gracias!

IMG_1117 b

4 comments:

Ponczoch Family said...

How neat that you were able to be there for the party! I'm so glad that you had 1 adult per child for the flights... especially with the puking & such. What beautiful pictures!

Sara Ann said...

How Fun! That is so great that you all got to go:)

Amy said...

No problem. Thanks for letting me come. It was a great time.

Bethany said...

Beautiful pictures!