Monday, June 20, 2011

A Weekend Family Getaway

We left on Thursday evening and stayed with Ryan and Jenna in Logan.  I don’t know why I didn’t get any pictures, I’m a dork.  But Ava is such a cutie and we are all in love with her curly blonde hair!  Sorry we kept her up so late!  We also drove by the Brigham City Temple on the way up.  It was smaller than I expected, but is very beautiful.
IMG_4559
Saturday morning we headed up to Bear Lake, figuring it would be too cold to swim but wanted to stop anyway.  The drive up Logan Canyon was pretty and the river was really full!
IMG_4570
We stopped at the overlook and somebody had put a snowball on the fence post.  It was about 48 degrees up there at the top, but it wasn’t melting!
IMG_4606
The guy at the gas station said that the water temp was about 51 degrees, and we figured we’d let the kids just get their feet wet and they wouldn’t want to get it.  We had to drive around to the Idaho side and go in the State Park there because it was the only place that had any beach….Thanks Lisa for the tip!
IMG_4619
IMG_4621IMG_4623
Well, we got out and tested the water…thanks to the very gradual slope and shallow waters, close to shore was actually warm, so the boys got in their swimming suits and had a blast.
IMG_4676IMG_4636IMG_4659IMG_4639IMG_4656IMG_4642
For those unfamiliar with Bear Lake, it is a great place to take kids because you can walk out a really long ways and you don’t have to worry about it dropping off suddenly.  Here’s a picture of a guy (circled in red) who walked out to about mid-chest.  You can see how far he is from the shore!
IMG_4671a
After the lake, we stopped at the tabernacle in Paris, Idaho for a picture. I had never noticed how the two front corners are different!
IMG_4697

We then ate at the Artic Circle in Montpelier, Idaho and then headed up to Driggs.  Zach fell asleep while eating his ice cream cone…I tried to take it from him (it was just the last little bit of the cone) and he woke up and kept trying to eat it while mostly asleep.  It was pretty funny.
IMG_4703
We drove through beautiful country, and everything being so green just made it even prettier!  This was in Swan Valley, before going over the pass into the Victor/Driggs area. 
IMG_4719IMG_4724
We got to David and Kelly’s and the boys had a blast playing with their dog, Milly.  David didn’t get home until they were asleep (and that didn’t happen until 11:00!) but we had a great time visiting with Kelly and playing with the dog!
IMG_4728IMG_4729IMG_4732IMG_4744
They have a front porch and an awesome wrap-around, covered back porch.
IMG_4743IMG_4747
They have a few neighbors but a lot of open space and pretty views.  We loved their house, it was perfect for them! 
IMG_4749IMG_4735IMG_4742IMG_4744IMG_4740
I know my travel logs are always long and full of pictures, but I can’t help it.  I get the camera in my hand and can’t stop!  I love to capture all the moments of our trips and fun things we do.  So, I think I’ll stop here and add another post about the rest of the trip. 

5 comments:

Sara Ann said...

Oh that is such beautiful country! I love the Paris tabernacle and I was so happy to see a picture of the Brigham City Temple, is it near the tabernacle?

Amanda said...

It's right across the street on the west side!

yekliwadnil said...

What a fun trip! I love the way the boys seem to enjoy every minute!

The Woolley's said...

You are so great to pack up and take these road trips! What an awesome memory for the boys and you!!

Mike & Aubrey Janowicz said...

how fun! i'm like you...taking tons of pics! but it's great! Love bear lake! And that was cool to see a pic of the Temple!