Back at the beginning of December, Zach’s PT put something on Facebook about a Christmas Party for the United Angels Foundation. I had never heard of it but she said it was for families with children who have special needs. I looked into it and was really excited to get to meet more people. Except for the fact that I really hate big groups of people, especially when I’m by myself. Well, I signed us up for it, and thinking that Carlos was going to have to work, Amy said that she would go with me because there was no way I was taking all three boys by myself.
Carlos ended up having the night off and we went up to the Orem Senior Center. There were so many people, we had to park on the street and wait in line for quite a while to get in, then another half hour in line for the food. They had way more people show up than expected. And, they said dinner would be provided but asked that we each bring a treat. So I made these yummy double chocolate cupcakes.
Chic-Fil-A provided a yummy dinner and the Chic-Fil-A Cow was there. Let’s just say that Jaiden thought he was pretty COOL…
Austin was absolutely TERRIFIED. When he came closer later and I was holding him, he alternated between telling me to leave because IT was there and to not to move so that he didn’t have to see the cow…
And Zach was OBSESSED! He left the line three times to follow the cow and say hi. I only got pictures one time…
And yes, his chair was also our coatrack…yeah, we probably need think of something better than burdening him with all of our stuff!
They had a fun slideshow of different activities the Foundation has done and then a cute little program. And they also had Santa. Austin, once again, was the timid one. But in the end, he did start to crack a smile!
We had a really fun time, and even though we didn’t really get to KNOW anyone, we talked to some really nice people and enjoyed the spirit of the Christmas season with them. On the way out, several women commented that they were glad their kids weren’t in wheelchairs because they wouldn’t be able to keep up with them! Zach is very independent in his chair and took off quite often throughout the evening! They also said he was very cute!
Yep, cute boys!
I’m glad I took that little leap and signed up for the party. I’m excited to see what other things they offer!
3 comments:
Good for you! That cow cracks me up, Sydney would have been terrified.
Way to go! Stepping out of the comfort zone can be so hard. I am excited for you. It helps to have a support system that understands.
That's so awesome! I am very glad to be a stay at home mom, but I LOVED and miss all my jobs/experiences working with special needs/education, etc! It's the best! The United Angels Foundation looks like a neat thing, I hadn't heard of them before.
Post a Comment