Below is my Christmas post. Hey, better later than never! I’m taking advantage of the Excedrin I had to take this morning to get rid of an awful headache, (but left me shaky for hours and now just not sleepy), to do at least a couple of posts. Because lately, I’ve been getting really tired early and going to be at unheard of hours for me. Like 9:00 or 9:30 or even 10:00. My body just stops and I barely crawl into bed. But at least I haven’t been as tired in the afternoons; I guess I just switched my sleepy times to more normal ones! Anyway, on to the real reason I’m posting…
We spent New Year’s Eve at Marilyn’s house with Carlos’ family. We had a lot of fun and there was music and dancing and lots of good food. We had dinner at about 10:30 p.m. and everyone was Skyping with family in Colombia when it turned midnight there (10:00 here) Then we had a toast and the New Year’s hug when it was midnight and Skyped again with those still awake in Colombia.
That’s when the party REALLY began!
I don’t remember what time Zach fell asleep, I think it was about 10:00 or 11:00. I laid him down on a bed upstairs and he stayed asleep the rest of the time. Austin made it until, literally, about 11:59. Here he is just as he fell asleep….
And there’s Carlos with his “Mormon Wine,” otherwise known as sparkling grape juice!
This is where Austin hung out for the rest of the time. Not sure whose coat that is.
After midnight, those who wanted to travel this year took a suitcase and went around the block. I should have done it because I really want to travel!!!! Then each family wrote our goals/desires for the year and tied them to balloons. Jaiden told us what to write for the first parts.
Then we went outside and let them go all at once. This would have been a really cool shot if I’d had my tripod but it was literally 3 degrees outside and I was shaking, so just pretend that the house isn’t blurry and you’ll get the idea!
Same here.
Then, they had fireworks, which was really fun but insanely cold for those of us who watched from outside. Jaiden and ALL of the boys were so excited that they just couldn’t watch from the window!
Then there was piñata, which was lots of fun! Bear with me on all of the blurry, I have yet to figure out nighttime, indoor lighting shots without the flash, because I hate how the flash makes things look. So I just get blurry instead. Great tradeoff, huh!
The silly piñata didn’t want to break, so, while just the kids usually hit it, Abuelita Belen, or Tita, and some of the other adults and older kids got to get in on the action!
It finally broke!
Another tradition in Latin America, is to make a doll representing the old year by stuffing old clothes and shoes and then burning it in the street. We decided we’d better not burn it, but he accompanied us throughout the festivities!
Jaiden was starting to lose it here and I think he finally fell asleep a little after 1:00 a.m. and slept on the couch until we left.
There was more dancing…
and some Zumba, led by awesome instructor Marilyn.
And then there were very tired parents, who at about 2:30 a.m., got the kids rounded up and they all hung out on the couch while Carlos got the car warmed up and stuff loaded.
Though a month late, I still have to say… Happy New Years! And if you ever want a fun New Years party, hang out with Carlos’ family!
6 comments:
What a fun New Years!! Ryan and I are such wimps!! We went to bed pretty early!! I love that you guys partied all night!!
That is so fun that you guys do that. We're wimps too, although we were up till midnight, I was more worried about getting the kids to bed at a decent time.
Good for you! Glad you can have so much fun! Even the blurry pics were cool. :-)
Fun! I love all of those Latin American traditions!
WOW! What a fun party!
Love the ballons. That is a great idea.
Post a Comment