Since I am so behind in my posting, I’m going to start with the most recent and work back, starting with Halloween!
We had our ward Halloween party in the morning with fun activities for the kids and a parade. We took Zach’s stander and he had a blast. It was the first time a lot of the members had seen him in it and thought it was the coolest thing. We told them we’ve had it for about a year but have just used it mostly around the house. I decided not to use it for Trunk or Treating later that night because he’d had a hard time getting around the parking lot earlier and because it had been raining.
I had just planned on Austin being a Transformer (Optimus Prime) like Zach (who was Bumble Bee) because we already had the mask, but a couple of days before, he came up with wanting to be Spider Man. Luckily, I found a costume that, while big on him now, will last for a while and he can use it to dress up too. And for those of you who don’t know, I have a really hard time spending money on costumes that aren’t going to be worn for very long, and I think that some of the prices are just crazy! But I found his at ShopKo for 60% off and I had a $10 off coupon for a purchase of $20. So I got a cute little decoration and some napkins that were on clearance and got it all for only $10.38. I was excited. And Austin was thrilled when I showed him the costume. He said, “For ME? Thank you, Mommy!” and he wore it all day Friday, even the mask a lot of the time. Jaiden’s Storm Trooper costume was a present form his Carlos’ dad when they went to California, and the Transformer masks were presents too. Jaiden has been really excited for a long to time wear his costume for Halloween. He dresses up in it a lot on other days too!
We had to take a potty break by begging a man to let us in to the church bathroom when they opened the door for something else. Basically I told him that it was that or use a cup in the car! He wasn’t thrilled but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do! We weren’t out very long again when a crazy fast storm cloud moved in and with a crash of lightning started to pound us with hail. We were already headed to the car because of the cloud and the kids got in pretty much unscathed. I, on the other hand, got quite wet while trying to buckle them in! Of course, I just had a long sleeved tee with another t-shirt on top. It got pretty cold!
We then headed up to Carlos’ sisters ward to Trunk or Treat and so that the cousins could see each other’s costumes and we could get a picture of them all. It had been raining for a while and had stopped by this time, but it was still pretty cold so they were all huddled in the back of their SUV. It was good to see how cute they looked!
So….Trunk or Treat OR Trick or Treat? I really don’t like Trunk or Treating. I understand that it’s safer and “easier” and blah, blah, blah but it really is a pain for me. First, I’m rather old fashioned. Second, our ward combines with another ward and you get a bazillion kids and I can’t get (or don’t want to get...) that much candy for that many kids. Third, we still got Trick or Treaters coming to our house even though lights were off and my kids were in bed. So, am I supposed to have candy for both events? Fourth, it’s like mass confusion in the parking lot and I’m trying to keep track of the kids and if Carlos isn’t there, I just have to leave the bowl at the car for people to take their own candy. And for those who know me, I freeze and/or freak out in situations with a lot of people crowded together. Like really freak out.
So, what do you think? Am I just crazy and ornery (don’t answer that!) or do others feel the same way?
Other than that, we had a fun time and it’s fun to see the kids get into it. And into all the candy for days afterwards.
4 comments:
Just to clarify, I got the costume, the decoration and the napkins for $10.38..
I agree, I bought a ton of candy for the trunk or treat and it was all gone that night, so on Halloween I was hoping no kids would come because I was not buying any more! I feel like I did my part. Luckily not one person came to our apartment. I was glad for the trunk or treat since Halloween was on Sunday this year. But in the future I would rather just do one or the other.
Cute kids! And what a deal! For Trunk or treat this year my ward said to back your car up to the sidewalk around the building if you were going to pass out candy. That way the kids just walked around the sidewalk and got their treats. No one had to go out into the parking lot...but that wouldn't really work if you have two wards there! Too many people!
Yeah, you had it good as a kid for Halloween. Do you remember the times we drove from house to house because it was so far between? The Halloween parties in Dutch John were great!
Post a Comment